Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Delish Nutrish - Pumpkin


I know, I know...another pumpkin recipe. This is a good one though! My kids absolutely love it, and it's got some healthy goodies in it too.

Chocolate chip pumpkin muffins are perfect for breakfast or a yummy afternoon snack. The kids love all the sweetness and chocolate while I love all the nutrients secretly being devoured. It's a win-win!


Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins-makes 2 dozen

4 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 (16 oz) an pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/4 cups applesauce and/or mashed riped bananas
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon all spice
1 teaspoon salt
12 oz dark chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar, pumpkin, vanilla and the applesauce/mashed banana until smooth.




The applesauce/mashed bananas is used in place of any oil. Sometimes I use just applesauce when I don't have any ripe bananas. And sometimes I use just ripe bananas when I don't have any applesauce. My favorite is to use a combination of both. Do what works for you!

In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients together. Pour the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture and blend. Gently fold in the dark chocolate chips.

FYI...before folding in the chocolate chips, I coat the chocolate chips with a tiny bit of flour to keep them from sinking to the bottom of the muffins when cooking. Sounds crazy, but it really works! Pour chocolate chips into a little bowl, sprinkle a little flour over the top, about a 1/2 tablespoon, and stir to coat.

Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups 3/4 full.




Bake for 16-20 minutes. Let sit for 1 minute, remove from muffin tins and cool on a wire rack.




And guess what...these freeze great! And if you forget to add the chocolate chips...which I did with my last batch, much to my children's chagrin...no biggie. My kids still gobble them up, and I just had one for lunch and it was delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment